บล็อกสำหรับฝึกทักษะทางภาษาอังกฤษ เหมาะสำหรับทุกคน

วันอาทิตย์ที่ 16 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2554

Learning Log out Class 3rd December, 2010

Progressive Aspect
Definition:
A verb phrase made with a form of be plus -ing that indicates an action or condition continuing in the present, past, or future.
Examples and Observations:
"A progressive form does not simply show the time of an event. It also shows how the speaker sees the event--generally as ongoing and temporary rather than completed or permanent. (Because of this, grammars often talk about 'progressive aspect' rather than 'progressive tenses.')"

Present Progressive
"History is a nightmare from which we are trying to awaken."
(James Joyce)
"The advice I am giving always to all my students is above all to study the music profoundly."
(Andres Segovia)

Past Progressive
"We were talking about the space between us all
and the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion."
(George Harrison, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps")
"I met this wonderful girl at Macy's. She was buying clothes and I was putting Slinkies on the escalator."
(Steven Wright)

Future Progressive
"I'll be seeing you
In all the old familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces
All day through."
(Sammy Fain and Irving Kahal, "I'll Be Seeing You")

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't."
(John Millington Synge)

Present Perfect Progressive
"Well I've been out walking
I don't do that much talking these days."
(Jackson Browne, "These Days")

Past Perfect Progressive
"‘You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,’ said the Lion.”
(C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair)

Future Perfect Progressive
"Well, dearest, I know you will have been thinking a good deal about me today and wondering how I have faired."
(Mowbray Meades, letter to his wife, 1917)

Reference: http://grammar.about.com/od/pq/g/progtenseterm.htm

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น