บล็อกสำหรับฝึกทักษะทางภาษาอังกฤษ เหมาะสำหรับทุกคน

วันจันทร์ที่ 3 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2554

Learning Log in Class 19th November, 2010

Today, teacher describes about the differences between interpretation and translation. We use listening and speaking skills for interpretation, but we use reading and writing skills for translation. When we learn English, we have to use Communication Competences (the ability to use the language correctly and appropriately to accomplish communication goals. The desired outcome of the language learning process is the ability to communicate competently, not the ability to use the language exactly as a native speaker does.) For example,

Linguistics Competence is to know how to use the grammar, syntax, and vocabulary of a language. Linguistic competence asks: What words do I use? How do I put them into phrases and sentences?

Sociolinguistics Competence is to know how to use and respond to language appropriately, given the setting, the topic, and the relationships among the people communicating. Sociolinguistic competence asks: Which words and phrases fit this setting and this topic? How can I express a specific attitude (courtesy, authority, friendliness, respect) when I need to? How do I know what attitude another person is expressing?

Discourse is to know how to interpret the larger context and how to construct longer stretches of language so that the parts make up a coherent whole. Discourse competence asks: How are words, phrases and sentences put together to create conversations, speeches, email messages, newspaper articles?

Strategies/ Pragmatic is to know how to recognize and repair communication breakdowns, how to work around gaps in one’s knowledge of the language, and how to learn more about the language and in the context. Strategic competence asks: How do I know when I’ve misunderstood or when someone has misunderstood me? What do I say then? How can I express my ideas if I don’t know the name of something or the right verb form to use?

Reference: http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/goalsmethods/goal.htm

Furthermore, we learn about modality which is an important thing that we have to use when we translate some texts. There are many kinds of modality such as can, could, would, may, might, should etc. We have to understand which sentence use modality. For example:

Your sister can speak English well. (Ability)
The temperature can sometimes reach 40 ˚C in April. (Possibility)
You can take my car. (Permission)
Can you pass me the salt? (Request)
He can run very fast. (Ability)
When he was young, he could run very fast. (Ability + Past)
Can you turn on the light? (Request)
Could you turn on the light? (Request + more polite)
I can’t see you today, but I could see you tomorrow. (Possibility)

HOMEWORK
1. เวลาตัดสินอะไรคนเราอาจจะถูกหรือผิดก็ได้
When we judge something, we may be right or wrong.
2. เขาใช้ตะเกียบไม่เป็น
He can’t use chopsticks.
3. คุณอยู่ที่นี่นานแค่ไหนก็ได้เท่าที่คุณอยากอยู่
You can live here as long as you want.

What do you think about my homework? You can share your opinions.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น